Ella Preuss's Reviews > Spirits Of Glory

Spirits Of Glory by Emily Devenport

Dec 25, 11

bookshelves: e-book, fantasy, from-author, read-in-2011, time-travel
Read from December 03 to 25, 2011

Spirits of Glory is a short but well crafted novel, with a lot of elements to put together in the end, keeping you hooked to the story.

I really liked how Emily built this new world -Jigsaw- and how she presented us with its history and background, little by little, making us want more.

The idea of the Time Fractures was very nicely done (being a Doctor Who fan, I tend to pay a lot of attention to these sort of things): once Hawkeye and Co. were in a Fracture, Time seemed to stretch for them, what would take a minute to do, in a Fracture it takes hours. I also enjoyed the visual of the book; Emily put a lot of detail into it.

But that's my main argument against this book: there was, perhaps, a little too much detail, and not so much action. Whenever we got action, though, it was brilliant!

Hawkeye's growth throughout the book is also nicely written; we read how she becomes a much more mature (than she already is!) girl and how she learns how to handle things in a much better fashion, despite her disability. There's some romance in there, but the way Emily wrote it was great: it wasn't too fluffy, it was barely there, but it was definitely sweet and it worked for the book.

It's a standalone (a plus!), I think, and a nice book if you're looking for an interesting sci-fi with a really well built world.

I really wish we'd seen more action, because I think it would have been a great book with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spirits Of Glory.