Debi's Reviews > Twilight's Last Gleaming: How America's Last Days Can be Your Best Days

Twilight's Last Gleaming by Robert Jeffress

Dec 16, 11

Read from December 03 to 15, 2011

This statement was what drew me to this book and made me interested in reading it – “Although we cannot prevent America’s eventual demise, we can delay it”. I am discouraged as I look around me at the moral decay in America. This book addresses the issues we face in current society and encourages believers to take a stand. America will eventually fall, but we can help delay that by standing up for what is right to make a difference in our society.
The book starts out talking about our responsibility as Christians to be lights and salt in our communities. We are not to just put our heads in the sand and ignore what is going on in our culture. We are to make a difference not to blend in.
Another chapter is spent going over 3 key turning points in American history that have led us to our current state. One is taking prayer out of schools, another is legalizing abortion, and the final a lesser known case of overturning a ruling regarding anti-sodomy in Texas. The direction our country is headed is a losing of our religious freedoms as Christians, while other religions are considered fine and free to be practiced. A killing of our children that are unwanted or inconvenient has been the result of legalizing abortion. And we are fast approaching the legalization of gay marriage, which will undermine the importance of marriage between a man and a woman and continue to destabilize the American family unit.
This was a well-written book showing where we are currently at in American culture and the need for American Christians to take a stand for what the Bible teaches. The end of the book has discussion questions based on each chapter, making it an excellent resource for small groups and book clubs to read together. This book is being released on January 3, 2012.
*I received this e-book free from the publisher (through netgalley) in exchange for my review.
Some quotes:
“…one reason Christians are so discouraged and frightened about the condition of our country is that, unlike the apostle Paul, their lives are focused on personal peace, prosperity, and the avoidance of pain.”
“Listen carefully to the messages from many pulpits across our country, and you will assume that God’s primary desire for your life is that you build a successful career, experience a fulfilling marriage, or enjoy a long and healthy life. None of those objectives is God’s primary purpose for your life. God’s one desire for you is that you mirror the attitudes, actions, and affections of His Son, Jesus Christ.”
“A life that is focused on pleasure and leisure is one that is destined for spiritual atrophy and destruction.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twilight's Last Gleaming.