Carol Storm's Reviews > Compulsion

Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman

Dec 03, 2011

it was ok

I love Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware novels. They are chilling, deadly and suspenseful every time! But why is it that the victims are always sexy young party girls who just want to enjoy themselves?

Of course, I do understand that you can't have a serial killer without a victim, just like you can't have a dragon without a damsel in distress. But in most other genres, whether suspense, mystery, or medieval romance, the damsel is usually portrayed sympathetically, as a nice person.

For some reason, Jonathan Kellerman always makes his damsels seem no good, nasty, spoiled, selfish and weak. What has this fellow got against women, anyway? Alfred Hitchcock created the shower scene in PSYCHO, true. But in many of his movies, like THE LADY VANISHES and JAMAICA INN, the heroine is just as brave and intrepid as the hero.

I really liked Kat, the party girl in the first chapter. Yet I knew right away that she only had three pages to live. And I knew she'd be depicted as a mindless tramp. Exactly what is Jonathan Kellerman's problem with women? Why can't he create victims people can like?
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compulsion.