Alena's Reviews > The World We Found

The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read on January 01, 2012

I won this through First Reads and finished it in one day because I never wanted to put it down. I don't know what it is about books by Indian writers, but they seem more lush and intimate to me than many American or British authors.
Here Umbrigar is exploring the bonds forged by 4 women who came of age in the tumultuous India of the 1970s. 30 years later an illness brings them together again. As you would expect, there are lingering dramas, unclaimed passions and misunderstandings. All those issues are handled deftly by the author as she shifts narrators among, not just the four women, but some of their husbands as well.
She explores the cultural differences among these friends, both in light of their idealistic youth, and from the perspective of "middle age." Muslim, Parsi, athiest, wealthy, American -- all these labels come into play without being stereotyped.
Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World We Found.

01/01/2012 page 162
51.0% "Beautiful, poignant words about friendship: how they develop, how we let them fade away. Bonds forged and bonds broken."
01/01/2012 page 207
65.0% "This is it, she thought. The slow, relentless beginning of the end."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☮Karen (new) - added it

☮Karen I tried to win this one too. It sounds good so anxious to see you review it!

message 2: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Parnham I agree with your opinion about Indian writers.