Kalen's Reviews > The Magicians

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Dec 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from December 03 to 08, 2011

I picked this one up because I needed to lose myself in a novel--and a novel that wouldn't be a lot of work. The Magicians fit the bill. It was well-written and funny, but I found that I didn't really care that much about any of the characters. When That Big Thing That Happened Near the End Impacting One of the Primary Characters happened (they always do...), I didn't really care. Hmmm. Not sure why, but I just didn't feel an emotional connection. Still, it was just what I needed at the moment.

*I need to modify this review to add an important point. When I picked this up, I assumed it was geared towards younger readers, ala Harry Potter, but it is not. It took me a while to work out who the audience is supposed to be, but it's definitely an adult (or mature reader) book.

I did also enjoy the explicit/not-so-explicit references to Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, CS Lewis, Tolkien, and Baum. I think this is the first book I've read that is new enough to make reference to the Harry Potter books. I also laughed to after I finished to see one of the blurbs reference Tartt's The Secret History because at several points throughout, I definitely noticed some similarities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians.