Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Quintana of Charyn

Quintana of Charyn by Melina Marchetta

Oct 10, 12

bookshelves: australian-writer, fun-fantasy, kat-s-book-reviews, leaves-awesomeness-behind
Read from September 10 to 27, 2012

Quintana of Charyn is a masterful novel. Hauntingly beautiful, powerfully written and the perfect end to this brilliant fantasy series.

But this is nothing different. Marchetta's novels only come in shades of amazing. By far her strongest and most compelling ability as a writer, is the way in which she crafts her characters and their struggles in the context of the world they live in.

If you have read Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles than fear not. Quintana of Charyn will not disappoint.

What sets the Lumatere series apart from many other fantasy novels is it's focus on people and relationships. It's easy, when constructing fantasy worlds, foreign mythology and ensuring you've described the elves' ears right, to forget the heart and soul of fantasy - and that is the people in it. Who are they? what are their struggles? What do they hope for? What do they fear? Often societies and races get boiled down to the language lexicon and dress code that the author painstakingly put aside for them.

There is a rich, imaginative fantasy mythos going on here, but world-building is like movie special-effects. It's usually doing it's job best when you can't tell it's there. When it's so native and natural to the storytelling, that the audience is able to completely forget that it's all made up.

But you guys don't really want to read my wax poetic about how much I love and respect Marchetta. Wait, you do? Okay. Here goes.

Reading this book was like looking at a rainbow - beautiful, something for everyone, filling our hearts with joy, and you assume at least one Unicorn was involved in the making of it.

Reading this book is like being under a spell. It doesn't seem possible, there's magic in the air, and Marchetta eats your heart with how lovely and sad it is.

Reading this book is like having all the fun of sex without pregnancy or STDs. It'll make you cry out, beg and pray to a deity - whether you believe in one or not.

The complaint I hear most often is that Marchetta's books are expensive - especially for non Australians. But look at it this way: Marchetta is like Hipster gold. Brilliant, obscure and hard to get. Do yourself a favour. If you've not read her books before, get them. See for yourself what all the raving is about. Fall in love again, and again. Grow up and learn, live, cry, make a bunch of life-long friends, and then do it all again with the next book.

I promise you, Marchetta's books are worth it.

This review can also be found on my blog, Cuddlebuggery Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quintana of Charyn.

09/11/2012 page 23
4.0% "Reread Froi again before picking this one up, folks. Marchetta leaps right into the juicy details and you don't want to be lost." 5 comments
09/11/2012 page 66
12.0% "Oh god! Everything is a mess! How is this supposed to end happily?! HOW? *freaking out*" 4 comments
09/11/2012 page 107
20.0% "Can't take all the feels..."
09/25/2012 page 167
32.0% "I have to read this book very, very slowly. Because with every page turned it is coming to an end, and I don't think I can take it."
09/27/2012 page 416
80.0% "I just cried for the third time while reading Quintana. God this woman can gut me in all the right ways." 2 comments

F.J. How the Holy Mother did you get your hands on this so early?!
I'm dying to read it! ;(

Kat Kennedy The author sent it to me and I caressed like crazy.

F.J. Lucky you! :D You Australians need to stick together, hahaha.
Is it as big as Froi btw?

Kat Kennedy No, not quite as big. Still a reasonable size though.

Sara I think am the most jealous person in the universe right now...! I really, really want to read this. Caress it for all of us!

Mari - loves to read I cannot wait to start this series. Melina Marchetta is the QUEEN! I'm reading Saving Frencesca at the moment(my third Marchetta) and I'm loving it(of course!).

Mari - loves to read *Francesca I meant obviously..

Stephanie I HATE YOU!! No. Not really, BUT I WAAAAAANT!

Katy Wha?!? Ahhh!!!

message 10: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Prathia How could?! Ah, Kat... It's so not fair that you always got great books ahead of us!

Kat Kennedy Sorry! If it makes you feel any better, we'll be giving away both copies on our blog!

Steph I will never forgive you! Oh, just kidding. There's a giveaway. Phew.

message 13: by Kalliopeia (new)

Kalliopeia *Eye twitches.* There's romance in this series? And I was just thinking of reading it, with it showing up in most of my recommendations. . .

Kat Kennedy There's two characters who love each other - but this is not a romance. This is straight up fantasy.

message 15: by Hellebore (new) - added it

Hellebore Even the Blurb on this book makes me scared about the ending.. I love Quintana and I love (I mean some serious girl crush here on Isaboe) and I read a blurb that said (view spoiler) (This is not really a spoiler as I'm pretty sure that this was the previous blurb on GR but that it was changed closer to publication.. )
Anyway I don't know how to feel about this .. I don't want either to be heartbroken but I know MM will write a breathtakinly beautiful story that will make me cry several times.. I just need to be reading this book like yesterday (if only that were possible..) Have you reached this point in the book yet Kat?

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Jones I can't wait to read this!!! Absolutely LOVED the first two!!!

message 17: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn How is the series?

Ankita OMG.... I have been waiting for this one since forever!!!!! tell me more....

Wendy Nice! Only at 160-something?! I commend your ability to drag this out. I will take note and attempt the same.

I should be getting my grubby little hands on this soon.

[insert 'Soon' meme image here...I'm too lazy to do it]

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. I am so far behind. I haven't even read the second book yet.

message 21: by F.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

F.J. I'm so jealous!

message 22: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I have this en-route from Australia. I can't wait to get it. I'm excited to start but dreading it all being over...So conflicted!!

Beegirl OMGAWD THIS IS TORTURE

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Did you love it?

The kid on the cover looks a little like Brendan Fraser.

Stephanie where is your rating? lol

Stephanie How will we survive until she publishes something else? All my tears!

xfarahx I LOVED this too and almost all her other books as well. Awesome review:)

Amazon80 Is this the final installment of this series? Please tell me there will be more.

Kat Kennedy This is the final instalment. Marchetta stated she has no more novel projects that she is currently working on. She wants to focus on script writing for a little bit.

Lisa (Fic Talk) It's probably a blessing in disguise that I have yet to read a Marchetta book, huh? cause by the time I get to one she'll be writing again and I'll miss NOTHING! (i may be wrong so correct if I am. I probably am missing out on something life changing, aren't I?)

message 32: by Kel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kel So coincidental that u started the book on September 11th.