Darcy's Reviews > Free-Range Kids: Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry

Free-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy

Dec 02, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from December 02 to 11, 2011

LOVED this book. It was incredibly therapeutic for me - exactly what I needed to help me feel some peace about my role as a mother. As I listened to the audiobook (fabulous narrator!), I could literally feel the worry and guilt lifting from me. I could feel the tension in my body lessen, I breathed more deeply, I laughed out loud (the author is so funny!), and my perception of the world has actually been changed. I am serious. I was astounded by how much this book calmed me. If you have ever wondered why parenting feels so incredibly exhausting, stressful, scary, and just plain overwhelming and have wondered why you can hardly manage being a parent to one or two kids, when women of the past (perhaps your mother included), seemed to cope just fine parenting 4, 5, 6+ kids, this book provides an answer and offers solutions. I plan on reading it periodically over the next few years, because I know I will need the laugh and the reminder of how to be a more relaxed and balanced parent in a very unhealthy parenting society. The audiobook is excellent, because the narrator is absolutely perfect for the kind of humor the author writes with. I am pretty sure the book was way funnier listening to this narrator read it than it would have been had I read it on my own. Great book for both moms and dads (and grandparents who want to understand the very different world their kids are trying to parent in) and anyone who works with kids (teachers, child care providers, coaches, etc).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Free-Range Kids.