Shane Seman's Reviews > Helmet for My Pillow

Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie

M 50x66
Dec 02, 11

Read in December, 2011

To me the purpose of this book was to tell of the war in the Pacific to Guadalcanal from the perspective of Robert Leckie. In this book the author tells of his days as a Marine, and during his life as a Marine he witnessed first hand what happened in those brutal days on Guadalcanal. The theme of this book I would have to say is courage and friendship. The courage for doing what is right and fighting for our country and the friendship for those who you are fighting with and fighting for back home, together you can accomplish almost anything.
The book Helmet For My Pillow by Robert Leckie was written in a narrative style by the man who serve in WWII himself.
Im going to be completely straight forward I didnt like this book at all. I didnt like the way the author explained it all and went into more detail of his long night with married women in Australia. I will say that the one thing that I did like about this book was the context that was actually put in there about the fights and the battles. I really said how the life was there for example on Guadalcanal for meals all they had was rice and some Japanese beer. Even then the rice had worms in it but they had to eat it because they had to mantain their strength for staying up all night when the Banzai attackes came with the bayonets on the ends of there guns. They also had to endure long frezing rainy nights in there standard Marine green uniforms with one rain coat and one blanket per person. To me this was the best part of the book when they were on Guadalcanal because it was the most interesting, it had the most action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Helmet for My Pillow.