Marie's Reviews > The Edge of Sadness

May 21, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading
Recommended to Marie by: My mother
I own a copy, read count: 3

I first read this magnificent work as a teenager before I even knew what the Pulitzer Prize was. It is set in the post -World War II Boston, partly in a lily white neighborhood (I always pictured it as West Roxbury) and partly in a grimy section of the city (I always conjure the South End prior to medical centers and gentrification). This is an astonishingly well crafted story of a conflicted Catholic priest and the lifelong friends and neighbors who color his life. The major conflicts in his life are born of the tension between his obligations (vocational, professional, familial and friendships) which he treats as loyalties, and his roads not taken which he seems to view as unrealized loyalties. I recently gave a copy to my mother's best friend (they're both 88) and she was thrilled to get a copy of a beloved book that she thought was long out of print. I highly recommend this novel. It has aged really well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Edge of Sadness.