Mel's Reviews > Seven Lives to Repay Our Country

M 50x66
Dec 03, 2011

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read in December, 2011

Edward Carpenter in "Seven Lives to Repay Our Country" has written a very unique totally absorbing short story told from seven different points of view. The setting is Saipan Island in the Pacific Ocean. The characters are seven Japanese soldiers. The time is July, 1944.

Saipan Island was one of the major "Island Hopping" battlegrounds of World War II. The Japanese considered it one of the last islands to be defended before the allies actually invaded their homeland so they gave an order to defend it to the last man. The large Japanese civilian population was told the Americans would kill everyone on the island if they captured it. The Japanese general in charge of the island, gave an order to defend the island down to "the last man".

"Seven Lives to Repay Our Country" takes us beyond the stereotypes that portray the Japanese soldier as a fanatic who only wishes to die for his beloved Emperor. It is not easy to see the humanity in your enemies and Carpenter's wonderful story helps us do that. I do not want to spoil the plot but it is about seven Japanese soldiers who have been basically told they are to die in a futile defense of the island. Some of the men do glory in this, some are afraid of their officers and keep silent but some see it as crazy. (The Japanese, based on my understanding, quickly assigned the blame for their involvement in WWII on their military, after they were defeated). We listen in as the soldiers talk about their fate among themselves, without their officers around.

I found this a very well done story and in just a few pages Carpenter did a very good job individuating the soldiers. I loved the ending but I will let you discover it for your self.

Edward Carpenter is a Major in the United States Marines. He recently spent a year in an exchange program with the Indonesian Navy and is now based in South East Asia. His formal education is in engineering and international affairs. He has a passion for writing and reading.

"Seven Lives to Repay Our Country" is his first published work. I was honored to receive a complementary copy and look forward to reading his next story, which will be set during WWI.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Lives to Repay Our Country.