Ricki's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: classic, horror
Read from December 02 to 13, 2011

I have read Dickens before and found him rather tedious, but as I did do a play version Christmas Carol every year in college and grad school, and then twice since then, I figured this wouldn't be so bad since I knew the story. Actually, I enjoyed it. While the story was the same as the plays, there was a little more in the narration that I found quaint that can not be found in a play version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

Quotes Ricki Liked

Charles Dickens
“If they would rather die, . . . they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Charles Dickens
“Come, then," returned the nephew gaily. "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough.”

Charles Dickens
“Christmas is a poor excuse every 25th of December to pick a man's pockets.”

Charles Dickens
“There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. 'Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round—apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that—as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!”

message 1: by Louisa (new) - added it

Louisa This is really funny. My school is doing this play, and we open tonight. Weird!!! (sorry for the random comment :) )