Ricki's Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dec 13, 11

bookshelves: classic, horror
Read from December 02 to 13, 2011

I have read Dickens before and found him rather tedious, but as I did do a play version Christmas Carol every year in college and grad school, and then twice since then, I figured this wouldn't be so bad since I knew the story. Actually, I enjoyed it. While the story was the same as the plays, there was a little more in the narration that I found quaint that can not be found in a play version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

Quotes Ricki Liked

Charles Dickens
“If they would rather die, . . . they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

Charles Dickens
“There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,' returned the nephew. 'Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that- as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!”

Charles Dickens
“Christmas is a poor excuse every 25th of December to pick a man's pockets.”

Charles Dickens
“Come, then," returned the nephew gaily. "What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You're rich enough.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louisa (new) - added it

Louisa This is really funny. My school is doing this play, and we open tonight. Weird!!! (sorry for the random comment :) )