Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: library-book, non-fiction
Read from December 02 to 05, 2011

What an interesting read. Even for those of us who know the basic medieval customs, this book will definitely teach you something new. Trust me, some parts will make you laugh and some squirm. Mortimer starts with you being transported to England and as you work your way into London you will learn about the landscape, people, customs and basic essentials. What you would wear (according to your rank of course). How to travel and where you'd stay. Will it be on a straw mattress at an inn or in the stables with the horses? I assumed the abbeys would be the best to place to rest...Not! When will you get a bath? How will you clean your teeth? Will you be eating eel or rat for dinner? Then you learn about the law and what might get you fined or hanged. My only complaint was how Mortimer assumed the reader was a male. I'm so glad dentists today don't put hot wax on your aching tooth to get the worm out. I mean really?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England.

12/03/2011 page 21
6.0% "Visiting the London sites."
12/03/2011 page 55
16.0% "Oh, this is funny. Medical knowledge based on 3rd century writer Galen, is believed in the 14th century. "women's wombs are cold and need constant warming by hot male sperm....if not women's wombs will suffocate and damage their health.""
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Orsolya Yay! Enjoy!

Orsolya That's a good point about Mortimer assuming the reader is male. He sometimes mentioned female habits but obviously not in as much detail.

message 3: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa I've had this a while and just haven't got around to reading it. It actually sounds more interesting from your description.. it'll definitely be on my 2012 tbr list.

Rio (Lynne) Melissa, it's one you can read a section here or there. It is interesting.

message 5: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Ha this sounds oddly lovely. Does it come off more as a novel of more as non fiction?

message 6: by Rio (Lynne) (last edited Aug 30, 2013 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rio (Lynne) Jas wrote: "Ha this sounds oddly lovely. Does it come off more as a novel of more as non fiction?"
Non-fiction