Melanie's Reviews > August

August by Bernard Beckett

Dec 06, 11

bookshelves: 5-stars, favorites, scrumptious-books, read-in-2011, all-things-holy
Read on December 06, 2011

What does it really mean to be free?

WOW!

This book was nothing like what I thought it was going to be.

I read this in one sitting I couldn't put it down.

Grace and tristin are upside down in a car, injuried and possibly dying this is their last chance to tell their stories.
Tristen is a philosopher struggling with the idea of free will, while grace lives a life that allows no place for such questions
How the come to be in this car, in this predicament balancing between life and death is a story on love , loss and what it really means to be free.

Beckett has created characters so real and flawed its hard to see them as a work of fiction.
Tristens story and his struggle with free will is one that made me really stop and think. Beckett made some great question that really had me thinking and wishing I had bought them up in study of religion back at school. While tristens stor if full of deep and meaingul questions about life and the choices we make, graces is much simpler, she lives a life of hardship and loss not alowing time for such questions she must live fromone choice to another in order to survive. Their stories intwerwined. Are both beautiful and horrorfying this book is going to stay with me for a long time yet. Defiently one of my new favourite books and author!

Sorry for grammar and spelling I'm on a phone and couldn't wait :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read August.