Manny's Reviews > McGee on Food and Cooking: An Encyclopedia of Kitchen Science, History and Culture

McGee on Food and Cooking by Harold McGee
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read McGee on Food and Cooking.

12/02/2011 page 2
0.0% "Just arrived. It looks good enough to eat!"
12/04/2011 page 18
2.0% "You just open this book anywhere and discover something amazing. Most recently: which animals' milk has the highest fat content, and which part of the chili produces the hot taste."
12/04/2011 page 27
3.0% "Milk foams are more fragile than egg foams primarily because the protein content is lower. Also, egg proteins unfold more easily to link together."
01/09/2012 page 36
4.0% "Good plain bread spread with good plain butter is one of the simplest pleasures."
01/09/2012 page 50
6.0% "The quick way to make a perfect ice-cream is apparently to use liquid nitrogen. I would love to try this."
01/15/2012 page 75
8.0% "Cheese began as a simple way of concentrating and preserving the bounty of the milking season. Then the attentiveness and ingenuity of its makers slowly transformed it into something more than mere physical nourishment: into an intense, concentrated expression of pastures and animals, of microbes and time."
01/15/2012 page 93
10.0% "Egg white is actually an anti-bacterial shield for the yolk, and there are two different kinds. Once again, I realize that I know nothing at all about the food I eat."
01/19/2012 page 112
13.0% "Why a copper bowl helps you when beating egg whites. The theory is so new that this section was changed between the first and second editions."
01/29/2012 page 132
14.93% "A fascinating explanation of the biological differences between white and dark meat. I am appalled to find that this gives a logical justification for eating whale; the more you appreciate dark meat, the more you're likely to enjoy whale."
01/29/2012 page 148
17.0% "You hang meat primarily to counteract the effects of rigor mortis. Sigh. Another thing I'm astonished I didn't know."
01/31/2012 page 168
19.0% "Foie gras has been made for at least 4500 years - there are paintings from the earliest Egypian dynasties showing geese being force-fed."
02/08/2012 page 190
21.0% "Omega-3 fatty acids come from phytoplankton, so you only find them in salt-water fish. Yet another fact I'm astonished I didn't already know."
02/12/2012 page 215
24.0% "Most fish deteriorates more quickly than meat at fridge temperatures because their bacteria are used to cold water and are still active, while meat bacteria require warmth. But some tropical fish species have different bacteria, and keep almost as well as meat."
02/13/2012 page 243
27.0% "The edible part of the sea-urchin is its sexual organs; it is hard to distinguish testes from ovaries. Scallops look different from other bivalves because they are the only kind that can swim."
02/15/2012 page 258
29.0% "A short but informative account of how antioxidants work. I had not realized that they target a multitude of specific chemicals, so it's no good getting all your antioxidants from one source - that can even be harmful. He recommends eating as many different kinds of fruits and vegetables as possible."
02/18/2012 page 270
31.0% "The chemical structure of chlorophyll is related to that of myoglobin, the energy-storing molecule used in animal muscles, but with magnesium replacing iron."
02/18/2012 page 285
32.0% "Cooking vegetables almost always removes their color, but quince is an exception - boiling it in a sugar solution turns it from colorless to deep red, as colored molecules are created in the breakdown reaction."
02/19/2012 page 300
34.0% ""Fermented fruits and vegetables", which include sauerkraut, kimchi, olives, pickled cucumbers and Moroccan citrons confits. I had not realized that these were all closely related." 11 comments
02/23/2012 page 315
36.0% "The chemicals that onions use to make your eyes water include hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide and sulfuric acid. Scary." 2 comments
03/07/2012 page 326
37.0% "I hadn't understood that mustard gas doesn't just smell like mustard, it uses the same chemistry." 4 comments
03/07/2012 page 340
38.0% "Cucumbers, melons and aubergines are all closely related, as are tomatoes and deadly nightshade. More things I should have known."
03/18/2012 page 362
41.0% "Black truffles contain small amounts of androstenone, a steroid compound also found in men's underarm sweat and secreted in the saliva of the male pig, where it prompts mating behavior in the sow."
04/06/2012 page 370
42.0% "The fruit most often mentioned in the Bible is the fig."
04/12/2012 page 400
45.0% ""... almost too transcendent ... a pleasure bordering on pain, from the fierceness and insanity of her relish" (Charles Lamb on pineapple). Also, two popular varieties of grapefruit are artificial radiation-induced mutations."
04/27/2012 page 415
47.0% "Pernod turns cloudy when you pour water into it because anethole (the primary flavor compound) is soluble in alcohol but not in water."