Donna's Reviews > The Demon Lover

The Demon Lover by Juliet Dark

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, urban-fantasy
Read in November, 2011, read count: 1

The beautiful cover for The Demon Lover caught my eye then this line, "For fans of Karen Marie Moning's FEVER series and Carol Goodman" grabbed my full attention. I'm a huge fan of Karen Marie Moning's Dark Fever series, though I'd never heard of Carol Goodman, I wanted to read this book. After doing some research, I found that Juliet Dark is a pseudo name for Carol Goodman, who has written several mystery novels to her credit. Carol Goodman also co-authored The Black Swan trilogy, an urban fantasy, with her husband under the name Lee Carroll.

Demon Lover is told solely from Callie McFay's point of view as she goes from an initial job interview at Fairwick College to teaching there, when her life takes a turn towards the supernatural and derails her from the path she and her fiance had meticulously planned.

The initial start, the prelude, of The Demon Lover was thrilling and set the atmosphere in the Gothic realm however from there the first half of this book was slow reading for me, not grabbing my attention but in a few places because it had a predictable feel about the story though I enjoyed how Juliet Dark's writing flowed, making the story easy to read. It wasn't until the last half of the book that the story started to slowly grab my attention but it still maintained somewhat of a predictable feel to it with a few peppered surprised. The ending was the only part that wasn't predictable and I'm still unsure how I feel about the ending, it was somewhat of a let down yet sets the stage for future adventures.

Demon Lover is not a paranormal romance in the true sense of this genre and lends itself more towards an urban fantasy with very strong romantic elements and influences of Gothic romance. As for the reference to Karen Marie Moning, I didn't really see the similarities and maybe that's where some of my discontent with the book comes from. Since this book is part of a trilogy, I'll probably pickup the next book to see if my interest can be grabbed again and override the disappointment of the ending but I won't be in a rush to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon Lover.