Bundles of's Reviews > Radiate

Radiate by Marley Gibson

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: arcs, own, sent-to-me, review-copies, tbr-pile
Read from December 06 to 10, 2011

Title: Radiate
Author: Marley Gibson
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Age Group: 12- 18 years
Paperback: 416 pages
Source: *2 copies* Publisher and Author

Book Synopsis: Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time. Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose her leg. Or maybe her life. At first Haley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything she’s worked for seems out of reach. But Haley is strong. She’s going to fight this disease. She will not let it take her life or her dreams.

Author Info: MARLEY GIBSON is the author of all of the Ghost Huntress books, and co-wrote The Other Side with Patrick Burns and Dave Schrader. She lives in Boston, MA, and can be found online at www.marleygibson.com or at her blog, www.booksboys buzz.com.

My First Thoughts...: When this book came in, I read the synopsis and was like, "Oh no, I am going to cry during this book." I thought it was a very good idea and was looking foward to Hayley's struggle to overcome cancer. I was also anxious to see if she was going to die, because I read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS around the same time.

Story Line: Hayley Mathews is not so happy with her life. She wants more friends and more things to say that she did when she gets older. So, to make this all possible, she tries out for the cheerleading squad. When she actually makes the team, she can barely believe how much her life has changed. She has everything she has ever wanted! She has more in her life! Until one day, Hayley makes a devastating discovery. She finds a lump on her leg and it is so painful that she soon can barely walk. As much as Hayley says that she is alright, her mom ignores her and takes her to the doctors. After many carefully examined tests, Hayley is diagnosed with cancer.
Right now, the doctors have no idea how bad it is or how bad it might get. She could loose her leg because of this! That would also mean no more cheerleading and no one would ever look at her the same with only one leg. As the struggle for survival becomes more challenging, Hayley is not going to give up. She is going to show everyone just how strong she is. When her life changes in an instant, she is ready to take on whatever to get through it alive.

Overall Thoughts: It started of slow, but built up over time! What an emotional book! Oh my, this was filled with so much emotion, I couldn't really see through it into the main concept of this book, which was survival and thinking positive. A roller coaster ride that you will need a strong heart to take this story on!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Radiate.

12/06/2011 page 1
12/06/2011 page 1
0.0% "Can't wait to dig in :D"