Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Gone, Gone, Gone

Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz

It wasn’t easy to organize my thoughts on this book. It’s been a while since I’d added something to my ‘books that changed me’ shelf, and although Gone, Gone, Gone didn’t affect me as strongly as Raw Blue, for example, I’m pretty sure it’ll stay with me for a very long time. Truthfully, for a while I even thought my rating would be four or four and a half stars, but then I decided that I need to make it abundantly clear that this is a book everyone needs to read, and that it’s likely to change at least some small part of you and show you beauty in that calm, quiet way I’ve learned to appreciate.

A year after 9/11, two 15-year-old boys in Maryland are trying to find a way to live with themselves, and then maybe with each other. Craig’s boyfriend Cody went a little crazy after his father died in the Pentagon on 9/11. Craig is trying to get over him by taking care of as many animals as he possibly can, but he’s mostly unsuccessful. Even though he’s only 15, the loss of his lifelong friend and first boyfriend changed Craig irreparably. That’s why he’s fighting so strongly against his attraction towards the new boy in school, Lio.
Abandoned by his mother, Lio just moved from New York to Maryland with his father and two sisters. When they were children, both he and his identical twin got leukemia – the only difference is that Lio made it, and his brother didn’t. He is a quiet, quirky boy who rarely talks and dyes his hair many different colors at once.

These two boys – I can’t bring myself to call them characters – will warm their way into your heart before you even realize what’s happening. Hannah Moskowitz left nothing to chance. She built two people with fears, habits and family connections, people that are incredibly complex, but identifiable, and so fragile that it’s impossible not to love them and feel protective towards them.

I really can’t go into this right now. I probably shouldn’t have kissed him back. But I’ve sort of wanted to kiss him ever since I saw his fucked-up hair that day in Ms. Hoole’s class, and really since the conversation right after, when he told me he cuts it when he’s nervous, and I immediately wanted to know everything in the whole world that makes him nervous, and everything in the whole world about him.

Although it tackles hard subjects such as cancer, loss of a family member and insanity, Gone, Gone, Gone is essentially a warm and hopeful story. It’s a book I want my kid and my nephews to read when they reach their teens, along with Suicide Notes and Brooklyn, Burning.
I have an e-arc of this (thank you, S&S), but I’ll preorder a copy for myself right this second, and while I’m at it, I’ll get one for my sister as well. I have a feeling this book will bring a smile to my face whenever I see it on my shelf and I’ll certainly want to reread it many times in years to come.

For this review and more, please visit The Nocturnal Library
52 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone, Gone, Gone.

02/21/2012
11.0% "I already know that this book is going to destroy me completely. So beautiful..." 4 comments
02/22/2012
36.0% ""I don't know. I think girls can do the shitty stuff guys do, now, because the first time Lio told me his mom left, I had the urge to tell him he misspoke. No, your dad left. Moms don't leave.""

Lisa (Fic Talk) Dude, this book made me cry within the first 16 pages or less, I think. It wasn't that far in when my emotions got the better of me. The narrator's voice was just so... SIGH. Endearing.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm trying to review now, but the review refuses to come together. :(

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Definitely go for it, Sam. It's such a special story.

Steph Sinclair Sam wrote: "Wow, 5 stars! I got this on galley grab and have 55 days left before it expires. Maybe your review will convince me to get to it. :D"

I read this last year and it's still on my my. Best characters! Get to it, Sam!

Maja, I can't wait for your review!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Great review! I am looking forward to reading this one! Thanks! :)

message 6: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Must read this soon. Sounds amazing. Awesome review Maja.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you, ladies! I don't think I'm likely to forget this reading experience anytime soon.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Eto mene u utorak!

message 9: by Jo (new) - added it

Jo You had me at Suicide Notes and Brooklyn, Burning.

Brilliant review, Maja. So excited now! :-D

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Told you it was a Jo book. ;)
Thanks, darling.

message 11: by jo (new) - added it

jo mo i've added gone, gone, gone awhile ago and then deleted it from my to-read pile and now, i need to add it again... i blame you, maja!

Alyssa If I didn't believe that this book was powerful before, you mentioning that you're pre-ordering not one, but two copies, has made me put this on my must-read list. Great review :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Joe, I don't mind being blamed for this one at all. :)

Alyssa, I really did mean that I want all my family members to read it. And thank you!

Lisa (Fic Talk) Beautiful review, Maja!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thanks so much, Lisa. It's an amazing book.

message 16: by Yaseena (new)

Yaseena I've never read anything by Hannah Moskowitz but your awesome review has convinced me this is a book I need to read :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I'm very happy to hear that! This was my first book by her too, but I just got Invincible Summer as well. :)

message 18: by Nomes (new)

Nomes Maja, I don't know if this is for me ~ but, damn, you make a convincing case. You are such a brilliant book pusher :)