Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly

Zombies by Don Roff

My favourite illustration, of Jeri's grief.

A readable, clinical and superficial journal with illustrations and diagrams from Dr. Robert Twombly covering the period Jan 5 - Mar 28 2012. On the whole, this doesn't contribute anything new to the world of zombies. Hypothetically, the cause of the outbreak is said to be from a food additive. As it builds up in your system, most reach a fatal level and display flu-like symptoms, die after developing breathing difficulties, then snap back to life. These slow-moving (and sometimes self-cannibalistic) zombies decay at normal rates and tend to attract carrion birds who aren't put off by movement. Water doesn't deter them, they just walk under water Pirates of the Caribbean-style.

There's no plot, little character development or depth, though we do get to hear a number of briefly described stories of the survivors Twombly encounters. It's typically 'what you see is what you get,' prioritising the physical over the mental concerns. Emotion, although portrayed, never moved me. Since Twombly spends so much time alone I expected suicidal thoughts, erratic or delusional behaviour, something to tell me that the world falling apart had taken an emotional toll. Instead we witness a stadium full of people of all ages, appearing to have committed mass suicide via something they all drank, which we derive from the cups they each had. No one else appears to suffer any ill effects of their situation until towards the end where nightmares and a sense of constant fear are experienced.

This was just an okay read for me. Only the illustrations make it unique by bringing home the excessively gruesome reality of a zombie apocalypse.

I'll close with another illustration I'm also fond of, for obvious reasons:

Presumably Gus in the office of Gus's Guns & Ammo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies.