Maria's Reviews > Shatter Me

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

2071484
Dec 08, 11

bookshelves: owned-books

I didn't know what to make of Shatter Me when I first heard about it. At the time I believe I was thinking A another dystopian! The cover also put me off, the model just didn't seem to match the summary for the book, but then again never judge by the cover, right? So many bloggers have given it high ratings and recommended it and since I know they're rarely wrong I decided to give it a try.

I am so happy, so ecstatic, that I did! Let me just tell you the cover doesn't give this book justice. It's action-packed, full of romance and the story just blew me away. I was captured by page one and the book never once made me feel irritated or even bored. The book is beautifully written and I'm not just saying that. Most YA books seem to have the same bland writing and I usually can overlook it if the story is good enough. But Mafi's writing is original and captivating. She managed to capture Juliette's voice perfectly.

The characters were all extremely well-done, I understood all of them. They all had personality in my opinion. The antagonist was also done extremely well, he didn't come off as cliche evil. The romance starts quite early on, though it never felt rushed nor did it make me roll my eyes as it was unbelievable like some YA.

The line - a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men, really caught my attention when I read the summary and as I read through the book I didn't understand how it had anything to do with it. But near the end I thought X-Men was a perfect description and it really just made me that much more exited for the next book! Some other reviewer mentioned this before and now when I think about it, Juliette really reminds of Rogue from X-Men (I love the shows and movies!!!).

So if you're wondering if you should pick this up then I strongly urge you to give it a try, this is one of my favorite books of the year and I can't wait until the next is out! With it's captivating story, beautiful writing, romance, and the action - this is a book I would highly recommend to any YA reader!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shatter Me.

Quotes Maria Liked

Tahereh Mafi
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me