Danika's Reviews > The House of the Spirits

F 50x66
Jun 26, 2007

Recommended for: ladies, South America, Spirits
Read in June, 2000

Allende is someone usually found in the hands of women. I think she can be for everyone. The mixture of country, unrest, family, culture and the occult are perfect. I think the fact that Isabelle Allende is the daughter of Salvador Allende Gossens only adds to the richness of her history and in turn her writing.
Side note: Salvador Allende Gossens was the president of Chili from 1970 to 9/11 1973 when he was assassinated in a coup d'état. Parties involved with the overthrow: Augusto José Ramón Pinochet and our very own CIA. A tid bit of history that everyone should read up on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Spirits.

message 1: by Sundurra (new)

Sundurra Danika,
Although your comment about the book is interesting, I have to correct a couple of very common misunderstandings about the historical notes: First, you are confusing Isabel Allende the writer with Isabel Allende the daughter of Salvador Allende. These are TWO different persons; in fact, it is my understanding that the writer never met the ex-president. Second, the name is my country is Chile and not Chili; one is the country and the other one is a bean soup which origin is either southwest US or Mexico (sorry about my ignorance in this aspect). Chili is a dish not known in Chile. That sounds weird or what!

Camila Palma Isabel Allende was Salvador Allende's niece... and she did meet Salvador Allende, you can read it in her book "Paula".