Anita's Reviews > Darkfever

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, post-apocalyptic
Recommended for: fans of Dead Witch Walking, paranormal mystery fans
Read in July, 2008

If you love paranormal mystery/suspense, this series might be for you. It's from a female perspective, looking back on the heroine's (Mac's) life - so you at least are certain that she will survive. Her sister has been murdered in modern-day Ireland, and she's come there to motivate the police to look for her killer. Then Mac gets sucked into the paranormal underworld, mostly centered around Fae, who are all bastards in this 'verse. Turns out Mac and her sister have/had special powers themselves, and for the rest of the series, it will be up to Mac to save the world.

This is not a particularly romantic book. There are a few scenes where Mac is nearly raped, but nothing consentual, and virtually no romantic intrigue - all the hot guys are clearly bad guys.

There's quite a bit of death, but the gore factor is fairly low (especially if you are used to reading Laurell K. Hamilton!)

The heroine starts out seeming to be a dumb blond bimbo, and without much effort at all, turns into a Fae-fighting machine, a la Buffy.

All of these factors combined to make it a hard book for me to finish. I'm not a mystery fan (I'm a romance fan!), murder pushes bad buttons for me, and the "fighting machine" transformation didn't ring true to the spirit of the novel. I might go on to read more of the series, IF it seems to take a more romantic turn later on. (If I'd only read Guilty Pleasures of LKH's Anita Blake series, I might have thought the same of that series. First books are not always representative of the whole series.) So, if you've read the rest of this series, let me know if it gets better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkfever.