Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

Feb 21, 12

bookshelves: hollows, arcs, urban-fantasy
Read from December 02 to 03, 2011, read count: 1

Ever since I finished the amazing and phenomenal Pale Demon, I have been counting the days until I could get my hands on this book. Pale Demon was epic: huge action, major personal developments, and a sweeping array of the major characters in the Hollows universe. A Perfect Blood went in a decidedly different direction.

The first half of the book was hard for me to connect with. Rachel is being very introspective about the events of the last book and attempting to live her life without the benefits of ley line magic. She has been staying away from Trent and trying to find her footing in society now that she is "out" as a demon.

As the story begins, she is called in by the IS to consult on a horrific serial killer case, with overtones of demonic magic. It turns out the bad guys are actually trying to turn witches into demons, hoping to use their blood to twist curses. Rachel jumps into the case with both feet. This is partly to avenge the victims, but also partly because she knows she could be an ultimate target. She already has the perfect blood they need.

In the meantime, Rachel is sporting a new were-bodyguard --and having angst over the fact that Ivy and Jenks seem to be moving on in their lives without her. And all I could think to myself is: this would be so much better if Trent or Al were around. Trent made an innocuous appearance or two early on, but I kept wanting to skip ahead to get to the part where the spark comes back. The book just wasn't doing it for me --until Rachel gets put in big danger around the half-way point. That's when the sun came out from behind the clouds.

And from then on out, the book rocked. I became more invested in the storyline involving the killers. Al finally made an appearance. And we see more of the "real Trent" beyond his businessman facade. Is there romance? Well, it's complicated. And sometimes ambiguous. And riveting and exciting and frustrating. Rachel is at her best when she embraces who she really is and what she really wants. That's true when she's kicking ass and when she's navigating through her personal relationships. It just took her awhile to get to that point in this book. 4 stars.

*ARC Provided by Harper Collins

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

12/03/2011 page 168
33.0% "No Al. Very little Trent. - I'm still waiting to get drawn in."
12/03/2011 page 294
57.0% "OK. Now I am engrossed."
12/03/2011 page 512
100.0% 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ wow u got this really early...no fair..LOL! but i am jealous! it better be a verra good roadtrip!

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I am so excited about this one. It's my #1 most anticipated book of 2012. (It just arrived today!)

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ well ill just drool at all ur updates...LOL. enjoy.

Eliza Brand OMG! I am sooooo jealous! I can't wait for this book. I love Rachel and Trent.

Marcela (BookaholicCat) I'm hating (envy) you right now.

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ was there hope for Rachel and Trent?

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Do you really want to be spoiled?

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ Jen wrote: "Do you really want to be spoiled?"

LOL maybe not spoiled but just if there is hope. ;)

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Yes, there is hope.

Michelle Cummings I am so freaking jealous!

Meredith Barrons Dying to read your review! Please say Rachel and Trent finally get it on in this one!!!!! If not, I will throw the book!!!!

Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽ LOL Meredith...one can only hope!

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I don't want to spoil anyone!!

message 15: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Oh, I am so jealous! Can't wait to read this one.

Heather Book Savvy Babe yeah, I just finished it, and wrote up my review... I felt the exact same as you in the beginning, but the second half didn't *quite* bring it all the way back up for me, i gave it 3.5 stars.. I would say more, but don't want to hash out the spoilers in the comments...

message 17: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) It didn't help that my expectations were so high after Pale Demon. I wanted it to ride the momentum of that book, but it just didn't.

Heather Book Savvy Babe Jen wrote: "It didn't help that my expectations were so high after Pale Demon. I wanted it to ride the momentum of that book, but it just didn't."

I think that is my issue exactly... I felt that Rachel was not herself, she really got her butt kicked, Al's appearances were underwhelming, I agree about the kiss from Trent-that relationship is all promise with little/no payoff, and what the heck was up with Wayde? His presence by the end of the book didn't make any sense..... but, i still can't wait for the next book LOL

message 19: by Llsbear3 (new)

Llsbear3 Don't like the way she treated Wayde he should slap her
silly and than go tell her father he quits.