Jenn O'Brien's Reviews > Good Things

Good Things by Mia King

2054052
Dec 02, 11

Read in December, 2011

This book (and two others by the same author) has been sitting on my Library Books To Read pile for a while now … make that a LONG while. It kept getting pushed to the bottom of the pile for other books that were due back sooner or could not be renewed. Finally, it made it to the top of the pile and I am so happy it did because I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the characters, especially the people in the small village of Point. Like all good friendships, I liked forming a bond with the main character, Deirdre, even when some of her quirks would drive me nutty. I once heard the expression “you can switch moods on dime and leave people with change” -- that’s Deirdre. But then, maybe that is why I like her, she is not monotone in any way.

I love that we are approaching the holiday season and this story takes place in the fall/Christmas/New Year timeframe (which I did not know going in, it was just an added bonus.) Throughout the story, the characters are decorating, cooking or baking, which I thought was a really nice touch to bring the reader closer to the characters -- especially since some of the recipes are included in the back.

The one thing I thought was not necessary to the story was the sexcapades. If this was a bodice ripping romance, then sure, go for it. But this is a story about a woman rediscovering herself and figuring out how to stand on her own two feet again. I thought it was more of detractor than actually adding to the quality of the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Things.