Jeanne's Reviews > Ember

Ember by Bettie Sharpe

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: fairy-tale-redux, erotica
Read in December, 2011

Ember is a fantastic re-imagining of the Cinderella story. It is one of the best books I've read this year, and amazingly enough I read it for Free (online). Though, I would have gladly paid for an enthralling, imaginative and beautifully written story like Ember.

I love Ember's sassy voice, and the narrative style that Bettie Sharpe chose for this unconventional retelling of a classica fairy tale that we all (think we) know. Ember feels like a very relatable modern heroine without feeling out of place in her fantasy world. She isn't perfect, and in fact, it's her flaws that I found the most fascinating. Her stubborn, almost off-handed rejection of all that is regarded as beautiful and desirable (including the Prince) is both commendable, but also somewhat self serving it how it keeps other people at a comfortable distance. I enjoyed watching her navigate through her life, and the complicated issue of avoid the prince.

Speaking of the prince, I found it so refreshing to have an interesting, complex male lead. True, he in more of an antagonist in this story, but even is his smaller role he far and wide of of the most well developed, and three dimension male leads I've seen in a romance in a long time. The romance itself was refreshing as well, seeing the greater transformation and growth happening in the female leads was refreshing, as well as relatable.

There is so much to praise about this wonderful story, from the strong female characters (The Stepmother & Sisters are some of my favorite characters in the story) and the unique, yet familiar take on magic. This fantasy, fairy tale world felt familiar without being cliche and it even surprised me several times. There are a great deal of fun references to other familiar fairy tales, each with their own interesting twist, and an irritable sense of humor threaded through the entire story.

I would recommend this for any fans of fantasy or fairy tales, and even urban fantasies. They will all find something amusing, entertaining and spellbinding in Ember.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ember.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kari loved it! thanks for rec'ing it to me :)