John's Reviews > The Seven Sisters

The Seven Sisters by Margaret Drabble

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: literature, fiction
Read in August, 2011

This, the first work I have read by Drabble left me with mixed feelings. This work traces Candida (all sorts of allusion and inferences can be made becasue of this characters name), a recent divorcee as she moves to London and slowly accumulates a diverse collection of friends. This group ultimately plans, and travels on a joint holiday to greece and other mediterranean venues.
The novel is partitioned into a couple of distinct sections, the first which is told in the first person, traces Candida as she explores London and meets friends. The second part is a third person telling of the vacation, then there is a third part, which is very odd - which seems to be a dream state imagining the main character as deceased, and a fourth short vague concluding section.
Overall, I lost interest or love for the book with the two last sections which I just found odd, and not very cohesive with the richly written earlier two portions. There were some delightful short turns of phrase which almost made it a worthwhile read on its own. Not enough for me to avoid other Drabble works, but neither will it prompt me to seek out other works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Seven Sisters.