Claudette's Reviews > Strip

Strip by Thomas Perry

F_50x66
Dec 02, 11

** spoiler alert ** When I first started reading this book, I thought: GREAT! Another Metzger's Dog! But unfortunately, after the first thrilling chapter, it segues into a variety of other stories, none satisfactory. It starts out with Joe Carver being blamed for a robbery he didn't commit, and the story of Joe and how he tries to extricate himself from the mayhem the robbed man (Manco, the owner of strip clubs and launderer of drug money) rains upon him. This part of the story abruptly ends, and several other stories start up - any one of which could have been a book of its own.

In fact, this is how the book felt to me. As if Thomas Perry had several ideas for books, but decided to just throw them together into one very unsatisfactory read.

One story which is perhaps the best developed of the side-plots, concerns the actual robber, Jefferson, and his idiot-savant take on life as an outlaw. He meets up with a woman out for excitement, and his life spirals even further out of control. Like all the other threads, however, this one is entertaining at the start but then rushes to an (unlikely) ending.

Another story that could have been told is about Spence, Manco's assistant. The book starts to tell us all about him, then again abruptly stops and starts on a totally different story, leaving us wondering how he and Joe Carver became partners, and what each of their stories is: for example, how did Joe get so good at everything he does by being a manager of a bar in Chicago? He's really more like Jack Reacher!

Then there is Manco's story. This one is probably the best delineated, but gets lost in the rest of the threads, such as the one about the bigamous police detective

The most entertaining part of the book, and the one that gives it my 2 stars, is the part with Manco's henchmen, the inept Jerry and Jimmy and the big Russian! This is totally reminiscent of Metzger's Dog and fun to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strip.