Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter's Reviews > Undeniable

Undeniable by Jenna Petersen

"Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time; serenity, that nothing is."
- by Thomas Szasz -

2 1/2 stars.

Cecilia Warden finds the desperate Julian Blake, the Duke of Lyndon, on her terrace. He wants to throw himself off the ledge in an attempt to commit suicide. A few months ago Julian's wife died of a sudden illness. He tries to ease his pain by drinking too much alcohol. Cecilia succeeds to save Julian. They are spending a few days together and are enjoying their carnal encounters. Cecilia has been a widow for three years and is living rather seclusively; she has her own problems to cope with, and she refuses to let Julian get close to her. While having sex they can comfort each other.

Honestly, after reading Everything Forbidden I was so excited to read Undeniable, and when I was halfway through the book, my excitement was nowhere to be 'seen' anymore. I had a bad feeling after reading the first few pages. The main protagonists just rubbed me the wrong way, and there was something else yet. After Julian was rescued, they just jumped each other's bones. Basically I have no problems with that, but it felt kind of odd. I didn't understand why it was necessary to write a sex scene 'there'. I got it that Julian was distraught, and he was thinking he had sex with his late wife, however beyond that fact I just couldn't relate and it seemed kind of misplaced. Additionally, the plot AND the character development was far too weak. Therefore, I just wasn't invested in their story - provided there was even a storyline. It happens that I truly like a book even if the plot is weak - as was the case with Everything Forbidden - but I can't say the same about Undeniable. Julian and Cecilia were too pale and boring; they were just too shallow to keep me on my toes. On top of that, not even the sex scenes could save the story. Somewhere along the line my interest just petered out, since the story was too tedious. I'm rather disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undeniable.

12/03/2011
19.0% "Man, I don't like the beginning; I hope it's going to change soon, though!"
12/04/2011
46.0% "Jeez, almost halfway through the book and I feel...nothing at all. No connection, no chemistry; I'm bored. I can't believe it, since I loved the main protagonists of Everything Forbidden. There was plenty of sex too but the sex here seems to be so indifferent. Man, I want it to be over! :("
12/04/2011
70.0% "Indifferent...tedious...boring. I don't like H/h, and I don't like the barely-there plot, either. Not even the sex scenes will save this book - they're not good enough as well. :( :("
12/04/2011
100.0% "Awwww, I'm glad it's over. Review to come..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla *Cringe*...thanks for the heads up!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Karla wrote: "*Cringe*...thanks for the heads up!"

LOLOLOL Karla, I had a hard time to believe that this book has been written by the same author as Everything Forbidden. The sex/love scenes in EF were so highly sensual and passionate, while the sex in Undeniable was just another tedious aspect of the story...

Taryn at My Secret Romance Why didn't you read this next? Something Reckless It's the second book in the Jess Michaels series.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Why didn't you read this next? Something Reckless It's the second book in the Jess Michaels series."

Taryn, I'm reading Nothing Denied, the 3rd book in this series. I'm rather sure that I'm going to like it. I'm not sure if I'm going to read Penelope's story, though, since I didn't like her.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Yikes! I'll stay away from this one. Very helpful review!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "Yikes! I'll stay away from this one. Very helpful review!"

Glad I could be useful, Kristen, although it is only my opinion and tastes differ. :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) That's true, but I doubt I'd like the book from what I read in your review. We like enought of the same books to know I'd feel the same way as you:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Kristen wrote: "That's true, but I doubt I'd like the book from what I read in your review. We like enought of the same books to know I'd feel the same way as you:)"

I was thinking the same, Kristen. BTW, the book I'm reading right now is really good. I think you'd like/love it too. It's verrrry long and maybe a bit early to say more, but I have a wonderful feeling...great characters, nice scenery and I love the writing. Her backlist is rather huge... :)

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'll keep a look out for your comments. I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far:)