Kawon's Reviews > Bruiser

Bruiser by Neal Shusterman

U 50x66
Dec 02, 2011

Bruiser, written by Neal Shusterman became a novel which helped me expand my thoughts that were produced by the issues presented in the book, and found myself connecting them with struggles in my own life, therefore making this book very relatable. This book is very effective in means of leaving an impression on it’s reader as it explores many concepts that are not regularly discussed in our society today. This book is told from four different perspectives, yet Shusterman did a great job in making sure that Brewster (Bruiser) Rawlins was considered the main character. I felt this because the story was affected mostly by the key choices Brewster made, such as the acceptance of an individual in to his circle of friends. More specifically it shows us that Brewster has accepted the friend request of Tennyson, the jock- brother of Brewster’s girlfriend, when he accept the handshake Tennyson offers him: “He looks at my hand for a few moments, and I think that maybe there are hard feelings after all; but then he shakes it with a decisive, confident grasp“ (47). This is considered to a be a key choice made by Brewster as it opens up new doors to other friendships, love, self exploration, and more choices. Afterwards, it shows Brewster using his ability to take away the physical and emotional burdens from those he cares about when he takes Bronte’s sprained ankle (65). This novel successfully presented and caused awareness for the social issue of bullying that people are still experiencing today. It was written in a style that made the content relatable, and real. However, the characters’ characteristics were not real enough for me considering the fact that there are not people like Brewster that can completely take away the burdens of others, and I am not too convinced from past experiences that people like Bronte, who are willing to risk their social lives in order to care for another person who is bullied and feared by others exist in our society. Most teenagers in our society today hold inside their hearts, a little black box that stores away their pains and burden to the minimum and it is most likely that in each and every single little black box, that one of those contents hidden inside is from being bullied, or feeling excluded. This novel is the chain that hooks on to a reader, anchoring the reader to continue reading. It is also like a key that is able to open up the black box, allowing the dark burdens to flow, and all the more making the novel relatable. The different styles of writing that Neal Shusterman used, such as the verse writing for Brewster’s perspectives, and the many figurative devices used were also very affective in captivating the reader. Bruiser is an enjoyable must read for all individuals that have experienced loneliness, exclusion, and meaningful friendships. It truly makes you think about to which extent you would be willing to take your relationships with others, and also invites you to reflect upon your current relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bruiser.