Shortlatte's Reviews > The Bite Before Christmas

The Bite Before Christmas by Lynsay Sands

Dec 02, 11

This review is for "Home for the Holidays" by Jeaniene Frost.

While Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series remains one of my favorite paranormals, I (together with many other fans) have felt that the last few installments were missing the spark that was so prevalent earlier in the series. I’m glad to say that this hefty-lengthed novella dispelled many of my misgivings for the future of the series, as Frost brings together Cat, Bones, and all of our favorite supporting characters for a story that I felt was both more action-packed and more romantic than its predecessor.

Thankfully for fans, Frost has participated several times in contributing Night Huntress-related short stories to anthologies to help tide readers over until the next novel is released. Yet, unlike most of these interim novellas, Home for the Holidays is no mere filler material, but rather a must-read for fans of the series as it reveals an astounding amount of crucial background information about Bones’s past that will undoubtedly play a major role in up-coming books. I also appreciated how Frost incorporated world-building from her other Night Huntress spinoff books to construct the plot of this story, thus tying together much of the mythology that she has built over the course of the series. Most importantly, while Cat and Bones share enough page-time to satisfy readers, Frost gives a nod to some series favorites who have unfortunately been short-shrifted in recent novels. Both Ian and Denise play critical roles in averting the crisis this time around, and I love watching both of their characters develop.

As fans eagerly await the release of Vlad’s novel, Once Burned, next year, I’m guessing that after reading Home for the Holidays, even those who hadn’t jumped on the Ian bandwagon will be hoping that his own novel is not far behind.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bite Before Christmas.