Krista (One Love) (Critical)'s Reviews > The Future of Us

The Future of Us by Jay Asher

2082345
The hypocrisy in this book is absolutely immeasurable. Emma dates guys based on how hot she thinks they are, or how good their hair looks. She does not care a single ounce, nor even LIKE the guys she dates. She simply dates them so she can have a boyfriend and doesn't once consider their feelings. Does her bff Kellen condone her for this? No. Does Kellen even acknowledge this? No. And yet when Josh agrees to ONE date with Sydney, Kellen is all on his butt telling him he's a jerk for accepting when he doesn't even know if he likes her and that no girl deserves to be hurt like that.

In Kellen's world:

1. It's okay for girls to use guys.
2. It's not okay for guys to use girls.
3. You're already supposed to be in love w/ someone before your first real date.
4. A guy should wait around and date no one while the girl he likes dates the whole world without a thought to his feelings.

Emma goes off to frolic with Cody. Does Kellen get angry at her for this? No. She just worries about her. But Josh is not allowed to date people, even though Emma has already rejected him. What the heck?

Emma kisses Josh in order to change her future. She does this KNOWING that Josh has a crush on her, and does not care that she's playing with his feelings. Does she apologize for this? No. Guess what? JOSH apologizes to her for calling her on her bullsh*t, and it's made out like HE was the bad-guy in the situation. How this was co-written by a man I'll never know. I'm hoping he had no say in the lady's half of the story because otherwise he's down on his own gender, which is just sad.

Emma is just so freaking annoying. She shows no development. The book and authors seem to think her behavior is okay. I was praying for Josh to move on from her. But no. She actually decides to break up with her boyfriend because he got a hair-cut, and she thinks to herself that the only reason she dated him was because he had nice hair. She's shallow and utterly unlikable, but she gets away with it because of her gender.

But really, what does it matter? The characters are all so fake and flat, it's difficult to care. Josh is utterly static, even moreso than Emma. Emma ALMOST learns something, but Josh is just...nothing. Emma realizes that she has POSSIBLY made mistakes--but not of course toward Josh, whose feelings she never ONCE considers throughout this whole novel because she was too busy dwelling on herself and throwing self-pity parties like a pathetic little whiny loser with no life. Josh learns nothing, develops not at all, and is just there to aid Emma in her supposed learning quest that never actually occurs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Future of Us.

12/02/2011 "I think Emma is THE worst, meanest, most selfish b*tch of an MC ever written in YA fiction."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Selena Pattra yeah...... that's true!

message 2: by Rhi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rhi she was too busy dwelling on herself and throwing self-pity parties like a pathetic little whiny loser with no life.

*snort*

Meggiliz I totally agree with this review! Why Josh didn't just stick with Sydney, I'll never know...

Sian The character of Emma was my problem with the book for the reasons you listed above, a lot more eloquently then I would have managed.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Haha, yeah, she is a real piece of work, that one.

Annie I think it's good that she was like that, it just brought out the rawness and judging side of her character

Krista (One Love) (Critical) So, it's good for a character to have no likable qualities? Not in my 'book.' If you for some reason like her, go ahead and take her. You two deserve each other.

Cory I read this review and scrolled down to "like" it, only to find that I'd liked it once before. To think, I paid full price for a hardback (pre-ordered, at that) and it's still on my shelf, having only been read once.

Krista (One Love) (Critical) Cory wrote: "I read this review and scrolled down to "like" it, only to find that I'd liked it once before. To think, I paid full price for a hardback (pre-ordered, at that) and it's still on my shelf, having o..."

Such a waste. Loved your review, though.

Milady Delacruz I agree. Emma was annoying and I didn't like her at all.

Caroline ~ (the romance sucker) Totally agree with you. Terrible book.

Amber Omg I was thinking the same thing but couldn't but it into words. I thought I was the crazy one for thinking Kellen doesn't have the best choices with boys.

Carla Naomi Preach it.
Seriously though, Emma's character just made me want to give her a good shake. I feel like Josh could have been a likeable character but he was too hung up on his 'future life with Sydney'.

message 14: by Nick (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nick Buendia I agree. Emma and Kellan are self-centered, self-righteous, annoying bitches.