Emma Mcdonald's Reviews > Out of My Mind

bookshelves: independent-reader
Recommended to Emma by: Kelly Hamilton
Recommended for: everyone!
Read on November 30, 2011, read count: 1

Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to share your thoughts and ideas with others but just couldn't communicate them? Melody has lived her entire life without ever being able to speak a single word. She also can't walk or feed herself because she has cerebral-palsy. The world simply assumes that she is retarded because she cannot communicate, but inside Melody is just bursting with words if she could only say them. Out of My Mind is a story of how the world often underestimates individuals with disabilities. The author does a fantastic job of drawing the reader into Melody's world where she struggles to reconcile her intelligence with the way others treat her. Rather than being a sad tale, this story speaks of struggle and overcoming challenges through determination as Melody works to make herself understood and accepted as an intelligent individual.

This book made me laugh, cry, and immediately share it with others! I highly recommend it to every classroom teacher, aide, and anyone else who works with special needs students, ELL students, or others who have difficulty expressing their true self to the world around them.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of My Mind.