Kellie's Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Dec 02, 2011

Read in December, 2011

What a fun book! Nathan picked this up at the library and started reading it to Jeremy. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. The story was interesting, sad, happy, and fast paced enough to keep my attention the whole time. The end seemed to wrap up a bit fast for me, but that's probably because I wasn't ready for it to end!

Hugo is a loveable character, a young Jean Valjean if he'd been interested in magic and mechanics. I would have really liked to hear more about the Papa Georges and his history and also what exactly was going through his head when everything started coming out (sorry, don't want to put spoilers in).

The prose were just as beautiful as the gorgeous drawings and photographs that accompanied the book. Don't get turned off by the size of the book or it's page numbers. At LEAST half the book, if not more, is full of pictures. They are used to complement the story and even take the place of some of the prose. Occasionally Selznick stops in the story telling process, uses a series of pictures to tell what happens next, and then picks up with prose where the pictures leave off. Very interesting concept.

I haven't asked Nathan what he thinks of the book yet, but Jeremy really liked it a lot and so did I!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.