L.E.Olteano 's Reviews > A Clockwork Christmas

A Clockwork Christmas by J.K. Coi

5203869
Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: arc, blog-review, netgalley, reviewed, received-for-review
Read from December 02 to 03, 2011

So, steampunk - compared to other genres, haven't read much of it really. But it's cool, I find I'm really liking it.

So, this collection of novellas was an interesting read. Of the four titles, Crime Wave in a Corset by Stacy Gail , This Winter Heart by PG Forte, Wanted: One Scoundrel by Jenny Schwartz, Far From Broken JK Coi, I really loved the first one. We're talking really loved it, like a 5 butterflies rating. The second story was cool too, liked it a lot, that would be a 4 butterflies rating; the last 2, while I liked them as well, were more of a 3 butterflies each. So, the overall rating is...*does the math*...4 butterflies.

The stories themselves were all very beautiful and touching, each story had a different steampunk feel to it and I loved the diversity. They all had another thing in common, aside the steampunk theme, and the emotional, touching stories: a great writing style, a bit traditional and conservative - in tone with the time-frame of the novellas-and I loved it to bits. I really really did. Beautiful writing in each of them, careful wording and attentive structure, just beautiful.

As far as characters go, I loved the main couple in Crime Wave in a Corset, I loved them each and I loved their chemistry. Though the tone of writing is a tad conservative and sort of old-school, this story was undeniably fun and the the characters were charismatic and charming. Being a very character-oriented reader, it makes sense that this would be my absolute favorite of the collection.
The characters in the second story, This Winter Heart, felt a bit more uptight and considerably less charming from my perspective, but I loved the idea of the story so much I would have enjoyed it even if I'd have hated the characters, which of course I didn't, I just wasn't crazy about either of them.
The third story, Wanted: One Scoundrel, brings forth this spunky, sort of heroine, and the guy is enjoyable too, I just didn't go with the flow as much as with the others honestly. It had a lighter tone, and the characters were entertaining and had interesting chemistry, and would I have read the story on its own I'm quite sure I would have probably rated it one butterfly higher, but coming in after the first two did it a disservice in my opinion.
Same goes for the forth and last story, Far From Broken. This one was somewhat in the tone of the second, a dramatic situation, only a lot more dramatic then I would have expected, honestly. It was well written and intriguing, but I somehow felt the length of the novella didn't do the plot justice. The characters didn't really appeal to me probably because I didn't connect with their inner workings as much as I should have to really enjoy it. The situation the characters found themselves in seemed considerably tougher, and though they did find their happy ending, like all the couples in the stories, this particular felt like it could and should have been more. Does that make sense to you guys?...

Anyways, I say get it and read it, I mean just for the first story I would totally recommend you read it, but all stories are interesting, and emotional in diverse ways, with happy endings that will give you a feel-good state of mind. It's a great collection of short stories and I'm very happy I read it. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clockwork Christmas.

12/02/2011
20.0% "Kyaaaa, this is yummy xDDD"
12/02/2011