Wsclai's Reviews > Logavina Street: Life And Death In A Sarajevo Neighborhood

Logavina Street by Barbara Demick

May 04, 12

Read from April 28 to May 04, 2012 — I own a copy

My feeling is mixed reading the book. I know that life in the Seige of Sarajevo in the 90's was difficult but it turned out to be unimaginably harsh. I have no idea that people struggled for years to live a normal life in the most absurd circumstances (no electricity, no gas, no security and no nothing). It was naive of me to think that no one would stay in the centre of the war zone but the truth was most did not leave Sarajevo, a place where they call 'Home'.

The news coverage and TV footages of the seige are nothing comparable to the impacts the book gave me. I might have been shocked to see those images from TV two decades ago but I am horrified to find out the details from the book. It vividly puts the war that happened years ago and hundred thousands of miles away right in front of me. Reading the book is like standing in the middle of the Sniper Alleys. I keep asking myself how these Bosnians could survive the deprivation, cold winters, all the shooting and shelling and numerous innocent deaths. It broke my heart to see that children growing up during the war have forgotten what fresh milk is and thought that meat comes in a can. The war not only sacrificed the lives of the dead, but also those of the surviving. The death toll of this war is undoubtedly much lower than that of WWII but the devastation it brought to people in Bosnia should never be taken too lightly.

The ones who initiated the war are, of course, sinful but the slow response and half-hearted assistance from the UN and NATO are also unforgiving. I am appalled to learn about the senseless food rations given (e.g. biscuits left over from the Vietnamese War in the 60s, flour instead of bread) to the victims. Some people suggested if there had not been the US election, the war would not have ended evetually. And I believe it is true.

Although the war has come to an end for years, it seems that the differences within Bosnia Herzegovina and distrust among Serbs, Bosniaks and Croats remain, if not intensify. It is hoped that their country would never succumb to the lunacy of war again.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Logavina Street.

04/29/2012
04/29/2012
11.0% "The Civil War in Yugoslavia was the title of my A Level Eng Lit project. Reading the book recalls the experience and the atrocious images of ethnic cleansing I read from the magazines and newspapers."
05/01/2012
28.0% "The Civil War in Yugoslavia was the title of my A Level Eng Lit project. Reading the book recalls the experience and the atrocious images of ethnic cleansing I read from the magazines and newspapers."
05/01/2012
32.0% "The Civil War in Yugoslavia was the title of my A Level Eng Lit project. Reading the book recalls the experience and the atrocious images of ethnic cleansing I read from the magazines and newspapers."
show 2 hidden updates…