♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Dec 04, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, dystopian, ebook, book-of-the-month, adventure, computers, humor, coming-of-age, romance, favorites, young-adult, cyberpunk, gaming
Read from December 03 to 04, 2011

It has been a long time since I found a book well worth dropping everything else, just to read it. Even sleep. Especially sleep, I might add! I read this whole book in under 7 hours, which for it's size is saying something! (For those of you who are curious, the last book that I can recall that I wanted to immerse myself into this much was The Night Circus The Night Circus.)

I'll try and address all the many things that went through my mind while reading this amazing novel, but I doubt I'll recall them all.

First off, the book had flaws. One of the most annoying ones was that the kids were all around 20 years of age, and yet spoke, acted and generally behaved as though they were between the ages of 14 and 16. Now, this is easily explained away by saying that it's a future-society and such mental regression is probably very likely. Anyway, it bothered me, but most of the time I hardly noticed.

Next, this novel is fucking amazing. It combines something like a billion different movies, tv shows and novels into a masterpiece. The ones that my mind kept referring to were Gamer (2009), The Bourne Identity (2002) and The Bourne Trilogy (Jason Bourne, #1-3), Wargames, the game Kingdom of Loathing, The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset, Mind Fuck (The Administration, #1), plus about a million others I can't remember right now. Suffice to say, Cline was a genius in writing this book... he managed to combine a futuristic world and the 80's decade while wrapping the whole thing up in a race with enough geek flair tossed in to even make it exciting for me, someone who was born at the end of the 80's (and yet still managed to "get" a lot of the references!)

I have no idea how long the author spent hiding his own Easter eggs into this book (I bet that there are many, but I really do not have the stamina to search them all out!) and I most certainly enjoyed a lot of the little bits of "trivia" tossed out at the reader. (In fact, I squealed and probably had a bit of a geek-gasm each time I got a quote, scene or just an off-comment xD)

For anyone who has a passing interest in SciFi&Fantasy novels, old arcade games (or just computer games in general), the 80's genre, the development of computers, futuristic life, or just about anything mentioned in this book, then you might want to find a copy of Ready Player One. It'll definitely be worth your while!

P.S. I really wish NetHack had been mentioned in the text-based adventure games section. Seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

12/03/2011
15.0% "So far this book is GENIUS! oh god, stop me from reading and let me go back to studying!!"
12/03/2011
52.0% "Loving this book, but now I really must sleep." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

So can I pick 'em or can I pick 'em?

:P

♥Xeni♥ You can, you can. I'm just annoyed because I have 3 exams this week and I don't feel prepared yet. *le sigh*

John This one just got added to my Amazon Wish List. Reading the Q & A on the Amazon page, It appears he's a Rush fan, among other things. I'm buying this book on that alone, when I have some spare cash, that is :-)

♥Xeni♥ :D Glad to have helped tip the book in your favor!

John ♥Xeni♥ wrote: ":D Glad to have helped tip the book in your favor!"

Your review certainly has me wanting to check it out. I'm not going to wait, I'll consider it an early Christmas gift to myself. D/l'd to my Kindle :-)

message 6: by MobileMinx (new) - added it

MobileMinx Wow!374 pages in seven hours...sounds like a riveting story.

♥Xeni♥ It is definitely dividing :) well worth trying!