Shalini Boland's Reviews > Neverdark

Neverdark by C.S. Einfeld

Dec 02, 2011

bookshelves: children-s-book, fairytale, magic, can-t-wait-to-read, fabulous, favourite
Read in January, 2012

This is a classic fairy tale with a contemporary feel and I read it in just a couple of sittings. Aimed at tweens, this beautiful feisty little book kept me (aged 42) totally absorbed and entertained.

Fiera is a fairy whose life and home is under threat and who must embark on a quest to save all she holds dear. The format isn't new, but the telling is fresh and funny. Einfeld's voice jumps off the page with humour, originality and a sense that you are in the company of a born story teller.

I instantly bonded with the characters - all distinctive and wonderful. (Manuel the crow is my favourite). I could picture this as a Pixar movie - there's comedy, pathos and adventure in spades. Added to this, Aaron's illustrations made my heart skip a beat every time one appeared on the page.

If you have children, I urge you to get them a copy. If you don't, then read it yourself. What an absolute treat!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Neverdark.

Quotes Shalini Liked

C.S. Einfeld
“For it is a true fact that faeries, just like people, very often find that a full belly and a good friend are all that they need to be happy.”
C.S. Einfeld, Neverdark