Nicki's Reviews > A Sweet and Bitter Providence: Sex, Race and the Sovereignty of God

A Sweet and Bitter Providence by John Piper

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, bible-study, christian, christianaudio, for-review, old-testament, reference, read-in-2009
Recommended for: John Piper fans
Read from December 10 to 29, 2009, read count: 1

I was very disappointed in this audiobook. I've never listened or read any of John Piper's work before and this has certainly put me off. From the title I thought it would be very interesting to listen to, but it didn't live up to my expectations. In fact I had to force myself to finish it, as it was extremely repetitive and lifeless. Saying that I did have to remind myself that this was a reading and not someone preaching, but it didn't help.
The book mainly focuses on the sovereignty of God and I found the author has a very dogmatic approach to it with no room for questions. At the start I accepted it, but now have since had all sorts of questions, which I won’t go into here. The narrator was very clear and easy to understand but he didn’t sound very interested either, maybe it would be better to have the author reading their own book. I won't be recommending this to anyone unless they need to do a very in depth theological study on the book of Ruth with differing opinions.
Thanks to christianaudio.com Reviewer's Program for this copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sweet and Bitter Providence.