اویس's Reviews > Death in Venice

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

Dec 03, 11

Read on December 02, 2011

a few quotes which I found really striking:

"A solitary,unused to speaking of what he sees and feels, has mental experiances which are at once more intense and less articulate than those of a gregarious man.They are sluggish, yet more wayward, and never without a melancholy tinge. Sights and impressions which others brush aside with a glance, a light comment, a smile, occupy him more than their due; they sink silently in, they take on meaning, they become experiance, emotion,adventure. Solitude gives birth to the original in us,to beauty unfamiliar and perilous- to poetry."

"....that must be the love-god himself, who makes us hang our heads at sight of beauty and weighs our proud spirits low as the ground"

"There can be no relation more strange, more critical, than that betwee two beings who know each other only with their eyes, who meet daily, yes, even hourly, eye each other with a fixed regard, and yet by some whim or freak of convention feel constrained to act like strangers.Uneasiness rules between them, unslaked curiosity, a hysterical desire to give rein to their suppresed impulse to recongize and address each other; even, a sort of strained but mutal regard. For one human being instinctvely feels respect and love for another human being so long as he does not know him well enough to judge him; and that he does not, the craving he feels is evidence."
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death in Venice.