Kristin's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: own, urban-fantasy
Read from June 11 to 14, 2012

I love Sookie Stackhouse. When I first picked up Dead Until Dark, the first book in the series, I thought I was going to hate it. I had seen True Blood on HBO first. I ended up reading the entire series, up until book nine in a matter of weeks, one right after the other. And then book nine in the series ended. And to me, it all fell apart...

But I keep reading, because I love Sookie. And in Deadlocked, you get the same Sookie, forever enjoying the tan on her legs, cooking in her kitchen and trips to the library. But there's leftover trouble from the last book, Dead Reckoning, that needs fixin'. While this murder mystery is the main catalyst for the book, right behind it is Sookie's musings about her future. She sees all her friends moving forward in their lives and she's going nowhere.

And boy, this book went nowhere, too. Yeah, some doors were closed, some old faces came by and waved "hi" but a major issue that hung from the beginning remains all the way until the end.

Flat... this book was just flat. It was a quick read and honestly, it's always a fun read for me to be immersed in "Sookie-verse". But sex? Hmm, I think I briefly heard it mentioned or someone had some. Violence, gore, blood shed? Yep, there was a little. It's always fun when Sookie tries to figure out what to do with a body.

Do you need to read this if you plan to read the final book in the series, Dead Ever After? Yes, I would. There are a lot details you'll most likely need for the final book.

If you've given up on the series and you don't care how it ends, is this worth picking the series back up for? Nah, not at all. It'll just piss you off more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

06/12/2012 page 145
44.0% "I think I see where this is going.... Alcide has got to be the dumbest motha-[bleep] on earth!! Hello! Vamp at Hair of the Dog *waves hands excitedly*"
06/13/2012 page 222
68.0% "Love Mr Cataliades, demon lawyer!! So polite!"