Clay's Reviews > The Tender Bar

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer

Jun 15, 08

bookshelves: adult-non-fiction
Read in June, 2008

This wonderful coming-of-age memoir alternates between passages that made me laugh so hard I could barely draw breath:

To make what she called macaroni and cheese, Grandma would boil a box of pasta until it was glue, saturate it with Campbell's cream of tomato soup, then top it with chunks of raw hot dog.

with passages that broke my heart, like this one about the author's absentee, radio-announcer dad :

My father was a man of many talents, but his one true genius was disappearing. Without warning he would change shifts or switch stations. I'd counter by taking a portable radio outside to the stoop, where the reception was better. With the radio on my lap I'd wiggle the antenna, and slowly turn the dial, feeling lost until I found The Voice again. One day my mother caught me. "What are you doing?" she asked.

"Looking for my father."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tender Bar.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stephanie G. the whole book is wonderful. The man can write. Read his book about his mother after this one - All Over But the Shouting. I think that's it. You probably read it already. He has a new one out now about being a step father.

Clay You're thinking of Rick Bragg, author of the Ava's Man and his new The Prince of Frogtown which rec'd a starred review in PW and which I also want to read.

The Tender Bar is so far J.R.'s only book. Hoping for more...

Stephanie G. Right. I am thinking of Bragg. I realized after I posted I had the wrong guy. Nothing new from Moehringer yet that I've heard about,but I loved the one you're reading.