Holly's Reviews > Dearly, Beloved

Dearly, Beloved by Lia Habel

Aug 09, 14

bookshelves: kindle, own, series, science-fiction, steampunk, zombies, from-author, paranormal-romance, international-setting
Read from August 20 to 24, 2012, read count: 1

A big thank you to the people at Netgalley for getting me this as an ARC!

Ok, so I pretty much drooled over Dearly, Departed. It was one of the best books I read last year. I had high hopes for this one.

What I loved about Dearly, Departed is still here. Bram is still that chivalrous, dashing zombie out to protect others and keep Nora close to his heart. Nora is still head-strong and adventurous, looking for the next challenge. They got together like Yin and Yang, and it's such a beautiful thing. They are one of my favorite couples in YA lit right now.

This series is just so bloody fascinating. I love that it infuses Victorian values and morals with sci-fi. I love that it is set in Central America and has zombies. I love that, overall, you can still relate to everyone and everything. It's all so fantastic. How many stories out there are like this? It's truly one of a kind. Which I LOVE.

I do have a few critiques, though. For one, the "mystery" of the story is far from a mystery. There are still like, 5 different people telling the story and at least 2 are in on the mystery the whole time. They tell you exactly what's going on. Nora and Bram and their gang are the ones who don't know, not the readers. However, this does rectify itself once the action picks up and no one knows what's truly going on.

Overall, I enjoyed reading this a lot and I'm very much looking forward to what is to come. The ending was just adorable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly, Beloved.