Small Review's Reviews > Ordinary Magic

Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway

Apr 14, 12

bookshelves: bloomsbury, middle-grade, pages-200s, paranormal, published-2012
Read from April 06 to 14, 2012

Cute. Full review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Magic.

04/11/2012 page 180
63.0% 3 comments
04/14/2012 page 238
83.0% "Chapter 23 was funny!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Gina (My Precious) This one sounds really cute. My kinda read...

Small Review Yes, it does! (on both counts!)

Gina (My Precious) I'm secretly crossing my fingers this one is another "special shelf" book, but you've had so many as of late, I don't know if its humanly possible. :-)

Small Review No, sadly it will not be a Special Shelf book. But it's still good. It kind of reminds me of Harry Potter in the early years, but maybe a little younger.

Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!) Awww sorry this won't be a Special Shelf book. I actually ended up loving it! I just loved the MCs voice and I definitely agree that the family really made this even better! Just wait till you get to CH. 23. I laughed so hard! and yes, I definitely agree with the HP reference. I was thinking the same exact thing!

Small Review hm, now I need to check and see what happened in chapter 23. I think I read it, but I don't remember what it could have been...

Small Review Oh, no I didn't. I'm at the beginning of chapter 21. Thanks for the motivation boost! :)

Gina (My Precious) Well shoot I was hoping for a special shelf trifecta. One can wish, I guess.

Mackenzie (Oh, For the Love of Books!) Small Review wrote: "Oh, no I didn't. I'm at the beginning of chapter 21. Thanks for the motivation boost! :)"

Hahaha I thought it was pretty funny. I just wasn't expecting it :P

message 10: by Small Review (new) - added it

Small Review Gina wrote: "Well shoot I was hoping for a special shelf trifecta. One can wish, I guess."

Oh I got the trifecta :) Shadow and Bone!

message 11: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious) Well, all right then, that's fantastic! I have that book to read on my Kindle from NG. I'm doing the old lady happy dance right now. Uh-oh, gotta stop, think I pulled something, lol.

message 12: by Small Review (new) - added it

Small Review hehehe :) I hope you love it as much as I do! I want to reread it already.

message 13: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious) So when will your review be posted for this one? I'm finished and curious to see why you didn't give it special shelf status. I really enjoyed it but to me it was more in line with the cuteness in Kat Incorrigible and couldn't tow the line with Plain Kate. I guess it just was emotional enough, though it was cute, it just didn't move me.

message 14: by Small Review (new) - added it

Small Review Hm, I think I have my review scheduled for the 26th. For me it was a little too young (?) feeling. I didn't connect with the characters on that SS level and the plot was a little slower for me. Also, like you said, it didn't move me. Cute and enjoyable though.

message 15: by Gina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gina (My Precious) Yeah, I'm going to go with the "moving" part was what's missing. Thanks for that reassurance. My review will post Tuesday 5/29. The plot line at times I felt drifted a little, not quite a tangent, but something different. I was listening to this while doing a 14 mile hike and I remember thinking, just where is she going with this plot line? How is this going to wrap up, what exactly is she aiming for. I like it, but it just felt a wee tad bid off. It was just a very slight twinge of this feeling though, for the most part I really liked it and felt it showed a ton of creativity.

message 16: by Small Review (new) - added it

Small Review Yeah, I got that drifting feeling, too. I read it in kind of a choppy manner though, so I thought maybe my impressions were from that but if you felt the same way then probably not. I felt like a lot of things were pulled together toward the end and the next book will have more of a solid direction.

And, a 14 mile hike?! You are awesome!