lafon حمزة نوفل's Reviews > A Monster Calls

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: amazing, fiction, mythology
Recommended for: Everyone
Read on December 01, 2011

Oh my God. Simply "Oh my God." I'm speechless. With tears on my cheeks. What a haunting, beautiful truth.
For the first time I can remember I cried while reading a book. To Patrick Ness, I thank you sir. You are one of the most amazing authors I have ever heard of. And to the late Siobhan Dowd, if your other books are even half the quality of this one, I will be forever happy having read three good books in my life.

The writing is the cleanest, most concise, heartwrenching, tear-inducing, brilliant thing I have read this year (and even in recent memory). I had been avoiding this particular novel because I did not want my image of Patrick Ness ruined after the wonderful Chaos Walking Trilogy, but this, this is like a homecoming (and not that stupid thing teenaged highschoolers have). Reading Ness' prose is like wrapping yourself in a favourite shawl, or blanket, and having that comforting warmth, as well as the good (and bad) memories surrounding you.

The only thing I wished could have been changed about this piece of what can only be called litarature (I'm running out of synonyms to express my wonder), is that I wish it could have been longer. Perhaps though, it is better to not have to much of a good thing.

Finally the highest praise I can give is that I believe that this was not a waste of either my money, time, or much demanded shelf space.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes lafon حمزة Liked

Patrick Ness
Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
Stories are important, the monster said. They can be more important than anything. If they carry the truth.