Paul Hankins's Reviews > The House on East 88th Street

The House on East 88th Street by Bernard Waber

The first in the series in which we meet Lyle the Crocodile. Bring the Turkish Caviar and celebrate a classic in children's literature/picture books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House on East 88th Street.

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Komos Oh, Lyle. Lyle the Crocodile. This was one of the first "series" of books I bought for my classroom when I first started teaching 17 years ago!

Paul  Hankins I like to try to go back as much as enjoy the contemporary picture books, you know? I am still of the opinion that if you put gold foil along the sides of Klassen's I WANT MY HAT BACK, you'd have a Little Golden Book that would be most familiar to our generation of readers. This doesn't take away from its inventiveness, but I think all contemporary picture books owe something back to the writers and illustrators from the shelves of yesteryear. Was this book really published first in the 60's. . .my, my, my. . .that's endearing, yes?

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Komos Sharing these "old" classics helps me show readers that a good story is a good story... no matter when it was written. As much as I do love contemporary picture books, I think we can and should still value those from yesteryear!

Paul  Hankins I kick off every year with a reading of Sylvia Fair's THE BEDSPREAD (now out of print, but I have found two very nice hardback copies). It is the THE picture book for discussions pertaining to differentiation and multiple intelligences.