Alison's Reviews > The Harry Potter Encyclopedia

The Harry Potter Encyclopedia by Stephen Kershaw

Dec 12, 11

bookshelves: review-requests-netgalley, self-published-indie
Read from December 01 to 08, 2011

I’ll be honest. I consider myself to be a bit of an expert on Harry Potter. I know way too many things about the books. I’ve read the books probably at least 7 times. I’ve written 2 academic papers on the series. I’ve seen the movies several times. Despite all that Mr. Kershaw has me beat.

The editor has complied everything in the series. I really do mean everything. He even added characters that are only mentioned once in a sorting ceremony. All the characters, places, creatures, events, spells, and objects. Everything. For each entry, he discusses everything to do with the item in question for each book. Descriptions, who was involved, when it was introduced/when did it happen, analysis, and greater picture. Basically everything you could want to know about what you’re looking up.

While most of the content isn’t original, it’s presented in a good way. You might think you know about a certain character but seeing all the information about him/her in a page or two can shed light on things you wouldn’t have thought about before. I had so many “Oh!” moments reading through this.

There seems to be some problems with editing. Some characters don’t have information for certain books or the author poses questions that are answered by the final book. It’s understandable with a book this big. The book itself is really compact. There’s not a lot of spacing so it can be difficult to read. It would also be hard to find things. Maybe if the table of contents were linked to the entry, it would be easier to use.

Rating 4/5

Great information for a Harry Potter fan to have on hand.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Harry Potter Encyclopedia.