Melanie's Reviews > The Last Slayer

The Last Slayer by Nadia Lee

Dec 06, 11

Read from December 04 to 06, 2011

4.5*s

In a world where humans are aware of the super-natural, Ashera is a hunter for hire, she defends humans against any supernatural that is causing them harm . . . . mainly Incubi and demons. She is really good at what she does, in fact she is the best and when a high paying last minute job comes up, Ashera is sent on the case. The case however, is a test to determine how good she really is and whether she is capable of a really big job involving keeping some executives safe from the all-powerful Dragon Lords whom their business is trying to get on side. When she is forced to defend herself from a dragon belonging to one of these Lords, she sets into motion a whole chain of events in which she is revealed to be ‘The Last Slayer’ of the world the Dragon Lords rule. It has been prophesised that she will be the downfall of them all and they want her dead, at any cost. Faced with no other decision she forms an alliance with the mysterious Ramiel who can invade her dreams, she can’t deny their chemistry but can she trust him ? and does he really want her for who she is and not for what she can do for him ?

I didn’t know what to expect from this book when I started it but WOW this is a seriously good fantasy book. For the first few chapters I thought it was urban fantasy and I was happy with that but then as the story got going it turned into a full on fantasy that had me hooked and not a vampire in sight ! I love the whole dragon thing, the world they inhabit, the folklore surrounding it, the powers and especially the dragons. It’s not often you get a book that describes a battle with hoards of dragons on both land and in the air, I bet if this were a movie the visuals would be amazing. I always like a prophecy and not only do we get that but we get a whole ‘mystery parents’ plot which I love but I feel I know where it’s going. The main characters are great and for all we get a good view of what they’re like I still feel that there is a lot of growth to be had from them all and that’s something I’m looking forward to in the sequels as well as all the secrets and lies that I feel have a major part to play. I’m still not totally sold on Ramiel but I guess that all adds to the allure and keeps me reading. The plot was impressive and there was a lot of action going on that kept the pace of the book going as Ashera got to where she needed to be for part one of her epic journey and not once did I feel bored. I was however a bit confused about the whole SEX thing, bottling it, drinking it, using it for energy, needing it to heal . . . and astral sex ? did they do it or not? Nevermind, it wasn’t hugely important to the plot, it just made for some steamy moments which I must point out are not for kids! To sum it all up. . . . . This is a really great start to a new fantasy series that has lots of twist and turns and plenty of action and even though there is a satisfying conclusion, it is definitely going to leave you wanting more. I for one, Can’t wait for the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Slayer.