Anastasia's Reviews > Rainbows End

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Jan 09, 13

bookshelves: near-future-sf, kindle, cyberpunk
Read from January 07 to 09, 2013

I actually really liked it. Takes place sometime in the mid-to-late 21st century, a realistic portrayal of how the world might be, with emphasis on pervasive technology: think smart phones and Google-everything-you-encounter taken to the nth degree. Technology built into clothing (so you can text and search the internet without visibly moving at all), VR overlays via contact lenses, information at your fingertips. Into this strange-yet-familiar world is thrust Robert Gu, an 80-something year old professor of literature and distinguished poet, given second life with an Alzheimer's cure after years of oblivion.

The hook at the start of the novel(and it did hook me) is that someone uncovers a plan to brewing a mind control virus the biolabs in San Diego, and needs to find out what is happening there. Robert Gu, who is now taking adult education classes at a local high school, is recruited into the scheme.

The plot kept moving and was interesting. My one complaint is the virtual battle at the end was incomprehensible, I had to skim pages, but it wasn't critical to the main action.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbows End.