Tina's Reviews > Triple Threat

Triple Threat by Jennifer LaBrecque

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: freebies, romance-contemporary, short-novella
Read on January 27, 2012

I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed this book. I felt the romance was very sweet despite the H/h being extremely young. I know they were probably suposed to be older, but they came across as around 16-18 years old. Although Tara was much more mature, so I was able to connect with her more than Eli.

Eli was very immature, to the point of being TSTL. Especially in the beginning when he was with his buddy Mitch. I admit, I came this → ← close to DNF'ing within the first chapter, but I'm glad I didn't because in chapter 2 we meet Tara. She's intellegent, courageous, and believable. I liked the two of them as a couple though. She brought him up to a slightly more mature adult man. I also liked that there was more than just sex between these two, that even in this very brief short story, I could see the relationship start with a spark and burn into a flame. It was a nice breath of fresh air not just having the basic insta-lust.

Some issues I had, aside from the age of the characters was… first, the dialog seemed off… stilted and forced and very odd. I also had a problem with words such as 'winnowed', 'rasher' of bacon, etc. I'm sorry, but these are not terms that I—or anyone I have ever known—have used in everyday speech. I also had trouble with the junior high school term for sex called "hook up". That makes it impossible to take the book seriously. I was insulted by that term and so I won't be reading anything from this author again. And lastly, the ending was too rushed and abruptly cut off for my liking. Overall, it was a quick, satisfying read. The romance was very tender and sweet in a very rose-colored glasses kind of way that only the youth have. I'd recommend for the younger set.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triple Threat.

01/27/2012
32.0% "Wow, there's a first… Hero's a dunce and heroine is the smart one. Usually it's the other way around."