Jonna Rubin's Reviews > Sammy's House

Sammy's House by Kristin Gore

Jun 10, 2008

liked it
Read in August, 2008

I love Kristin Gore's writing. I really, really do. And frankly, Sammy Joyce is one of the most lovable, quirky characters I've encountered in years. She's multi-dimensional, real and endearingly flawed.

I couldn't really give a rip about the plot, though I'll allow that the ending was a little fast and forced, because for me, the books are essentially character study, and wonderfully enjoyable ones at that.

The one part of the book that sticks in my craw is Sammy's Potomac River-plunge at the outset of the novel. I wished Gore hadn't done it -- it was a little too over the top, even for Sammy, and it felt forced, rather than natural. The same goes for the Speck Johnson interaction -- both were unnecessary and I'd say it was a small transgression, but it honestly bothered me for the rest of the novel. It stole, I think, some of Sammy's authenticity right out from under her, which is a shame.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sammy's House.

Nichole I think you're spot-on here. I didn't care for the "everyone's hitting on Sammy" storyline bit, either.