Sara's Reviews > Fated

F 50x66
Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from December 25 to 29, 2011

I won this as a firstreads giveaway.

Fated is the first book in a new series about a diviner called Alex Verus. When we first see Verus he is hiding away from his past in a magic shop that he runs. As far as those posessing magic goes diviners are often viewed as rather unimpressive. However, Alex's ability to see the path where every choice would lead him tends to be a rather significant advantage. He soon needs all the help he can get as a new powerful magical artifact leads everyone to his door asking for help.
All of a sudden he is thrown back into the magical forefront and not only has to deal with new potential enemies but must face his past as well.

I really enjoyed this novel. It thought the pacing was good and the story was very entertaining. I liked the different take on the idea of divination. Most characters who can "see the future" see a definate picture of what will happen whereas Verus sees many different futures depending on the choices he makes. However, he can't see a future if there isn't a choice made yet so this does leave some room for unpredictability which makes things more interesting.

I would recommend this book to other readers and look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fated.